1. Sports
Send to a Friend via Email

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:


was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.

Tony Stewart



Number 14 Chevrolet


Stewart-Haas Racing


Office Depot / Old Spice


May 20, 1971

Rookie Season:

Won three races in 1999 on his way to becoming the 1999 Raybestos Rookie Of The Year.

Career Highlights:

1995 - First driver to ever win the USAC Triple Crown (Midget, Sprint and Silver Crown Championships in the same year)

1996 - IRL Rookie Of The Year

1997 - IRL Series Champio

1999 - Sprint Cup Raybestos Rookie Of The Year

2002 - Sprint Cup Champion

2005 - Brickyard 400 winner

2005 - Sprint Cup Champion

2009 - Became Owner/Driver of Stewart-Haas Racing

2011 - Sprint Cup Champion

Anger Management:

Tony Stewart burst onto the Sprint Cup scene in 1999 with more experience in the big leagues of motorsports than most other rookies. Posting three wins in his rookie season Stewart then laughed off the "sophomore slump" jinx with six more wins in 2000.

Tony used to have trouble with his temper. On the track his driving style is often called over-aggressive by his fellow competitors. He has been known to hit other drivers on the track, on pit road and with his fists. During his 2002 title-winning season he spent some time on probation for hitting a photographer and was investigated by a local sheriff's department for pushing a fan.

Tony seems to have gotten that under control. His 2005 Championship season was unmarred by off track incidents. It may have taken Tony a few years to learn it. But NASCAR greatness is only 60% driving ability. The other 40% is your off-track and media personality.

In 2009 Tony Stewart starts a new chapter in his racing career. Stewart left Joe Gibbs Racing to become an owner/driver of Stewart-Haas Racing. This has been a rocky road for other established NASCAR stars like Darrell Waltrip, Ricky Rudd and Michael Waltrip who all tried to be owner/drivers with mixed levels of success.

Tony Stewart got his team clicking quickly and it only took him a couple of years to get back to the top. Tony Stewart claimed his third NASCAR Sprint Cup Championship, and his first as an owner/driver, with a thrilling Homestead win in 2011. How many more can he win?

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.