The Bottom Line
- Easy to jump right in and have fun
- Accurately represents NASCAR as televised
- Most extensive garage options in PC NASCAR sim
- Feels more like NASCAR on FOX than hardcore sim
- Many options buried in config files
- Still trying to get my controller to "feel" right
- "Complete control" promises the most realistic vehicle dynamics ever modeled in a PC racing game.
- Incredibly complete garage has more setup options than any previous NASCAR sim.
- Compete with up to 15 other real racers online via LAN or internet.
- Many controller setup options. In fact, too many. I still don't have my wheel feeling quite right.
- Features all 23 Winston Cup tracks plus the old Daytona beach course.
- 69 different real and retired drivers, many with multiple paint-schemes to choose from.
- Surf the net and you can find additional drivers, cars and even tracks to download.
Guide Review - EA Sports NASCAR Thunder 2003 - PC Version
Out of the box the game has too many "helpers" for the hardcore sim racer and the physics engine is turned down but a few easy config tweaks and this game really comes to life. This is a solid NASCAR racing game that, with another year or two of maturity, could become everything that sim-racing fans are looking for.
If you love NASCAR sim racing, you should give this game a try. Yes, it's different than the Papyrus sims, but different doesn't mean bad.