1. Sports

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

NASCAR Assesses Penalties for Phoenix Fight

By November 12, 2012

The closing laps in the 2012 AdvoCare 500 featured an intentional wreck, a big fight and a red flag.  Each of those three items lead to penalties that were delivered today to the folks involved.

• Jeff Gordon was fined $100,000 and docked 25 points for intentionally wrecking Clint Bowyer.  His car owner Rick Hendrick was also docked 25 car owner points.   Gordon and his crew chief were both placed on probation through the end of the year.
  • Clint Bowyer's crew chief was fined $25,000 and placed on probation through the end of the year because the crew chief is responsible for the actions of the team when they jump another driver in the garage area.
  • During the red flag Brad Keselowski was seen using his cell phone in his car.  Keselowski was fined $25,000 and placed on probation through the end of the year for his Twitter obsession.

I agree with the penalties for Jeff Gordon and Clint Bowyer's crew however the Brad Keselowski penalty truly seems hypocritical.

NASCAR loved the media exposure that Keselowski generated when he tweeted during the Daytona 500 but now at the end of the season he is penalized $25,000?   I don't understand why it was OK in February but not in November.

Comments

November 13, 2012 at 9:58 am
(1) cowgirl says:

Seriously?? Fining Brad?? He is sitting there waiting for the “boys have at it” to stop with the car off what the heck reason would justify this. Be one thing if he was waiting for a tire change at a pit stop!!!! Also, all the fining and deduction of points doesn’t help Clint in his point standing since he was taken out and certainly doesn’t help the other cars that got wrecked due to Jeff’s tantrum.

November 13, 2012 at 2:33 pm
(2) dieseljimi says:

hey i like clint & jeff but get real the fines should have been equal or non-exsistent. after all nastycar wants the drivers to handle there own problems and it seems like they did.
another problem with nastycar is they need to stop counting yellow flag laps in the last 20 or so laps of a race

November 14, 2012 at 6:55 am
(3) shel says:

I watch nascar every weekend they should have given jeff & clint the same penalties. Afer all clint is well known for taking drivers out. Remember when he took Jeff & Jimmy out right before they were about to go over the finish line. nacar seems to look the other way, when certain drivers do stupid things. And what about Brad K. all the stupid thing s , when he takes a driver out just so they wreck, when they are about to finish ahead of. He has bragged in interviews about talking on his cell phone, He should have had points taken away for that he is a bully and knows he can get away with a lot more than the rest, jusy because he is suppose to the nest best thing. ugh. sarcsatist, bigmouth, I can think of few other choice words I could use,but I will not waste any more of my time. all i can is officals better wake up before they loose more fans than myself.

November 15, 2012 at 6:26 am
(4) Vroomslide says:

I would say all three got what they asked for.
As for Brad and his constant abuse of having his phone in the car. NASCAR should make Brad do PSA’s about distractions while driving. Doesn’t matter if he is stopped, kids look up to these guys and if they see their driver with the phone in the car tweeting what message is that sending? We are trying to get kids not have the distraction of cell phones and here he is tweeting away.

November 15, 2012 at 1:27 pm
(5) Glen Sr says:

I can’t believe the reactions of NASCAR on Brad. I am not a fan of BK but a fine for useing the cell phone during a red flag is rediculous! If it is a rule that would be another thing but I don’t believe it is a rule. After all it was during the red flag….. Drivers, let it be a lesson the cameras are on you and NASCAR will use it for any benifit they see cause.

November 15, 2012 at 1:56 pm
(6) Nadine Boever says:

Keselowski was warned in Feb. as all drivers were so I don’t feel bad about the call. And what about expletive remarks after the race at the media sesion. Anyone else would have been fined and posibly docked points.

November 15, 2012 at 5:44 pm
(7) dennis says:

chevy pop says
why would only jeff get fined when boyer put jeff in the wall just pryer to the other exchange boyer should have a fine equel to jeff this could not happen without two being involved

November 15, 2012 at 5:49 pm
(8) BRENDA says:

I THINK THAT THE FINE FOR JEFF WAS TOO HIGH, AND CLINT HAD IT COMING, HOW MUCH WAS JEFF SUPPOSE TO TAKE??BACK IN THE DAYS OF FIREBALL, EARNHART, ALLISON AND THOS BOYS WOULD FIGHT AND NOTHING EVER WAS SAID, EXCEPT BREAK IT UP. SO I DON’T BLAME JEFF, HE SHOULD HAVE WAITED ON HIM AND WHIPPED HIS BUTT OFF THE TRACK, AND HOW ABOUT THAT SORRY FINE FOR CLINT BOWYERS’ CHIEF, NOT FAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 18, 2012 at 9:11 am
(9) JJ Greive says:

Gordon is an ASS of the worst kind, and personally I’d like to see him removed from nascar!