1. Sports

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

How Would You Fix NASCAR?

By April 30, 2012

NASCAR has been explaining away the empty seats in the stands and blaming it on economic conditions.  While there may be some truth behind that it does not explain why NASCAR television ratings are also down from last year.

According to this informative chart at Jayski the March 18th Bristol race is the only race this season to gain viewers over 2011.  Sadly, even that gain still leaves numbers far below the viewer counts from 2009 and 2010.

If you were king for a day what would you do to revive a sport with consistently slipping ratings and attendance?  How would you fix NASCAR?

Comments

May 1, 2012 at 12:46 am
(1) Fred says:

For me going back to the “bump and run” would be great. NASCAR back off the gentlemen and go back to ‘Boys will be Boys”. Also back off on all cars will be equal, why have different makes, laugh laugh, and have the same templates for all. If NASCAR makes the tracks and cars safer, might as well go to the fair and watch bumper cars, they are more enjoyable than current conditions. What ever happened to “If you an’t wrecking, you an’t racing” like DW and Dale Sr. If people wanted to watch cars on parade, they would just go the the 4th of July ones at home and save a pot full of money.

May 1, 2012 at 1:17 am
(2) Mrs Boisblanc says:

I almost can’t stand to watch the races with Michael Waltrip commentating! Thank goodness for the DVR as I can skip ahead every time he opens his mouth. The last thing I want to hear is a guy who is a perennial loser and a cheater talking about how to win a race. So if you want to fix NASCAR start by canning him. And while you are at it, Kyle Petty too.

May 1, 2012 at 4:08 am
(3) Tim says:

Well besides “LOSER” commentators (although I kinda like the silliness of the Waltrips, they can be funny). I think NASCAR should stop playing favorites… (PERIOD)!!! NASCAR has played favs for years. Petty, Junior Johnson, Yarborough I mean the list just goes on & on. The last 10-12-15 years it has been Hendrick (the biggest cheater–not to mention criminal who has served time)… I mean week-to-week NASCAR comes up with a new rule to protect a Hendrick car. Even if it is just a Hendrick POWERED car (like Tony Stewart) I just couldnt believe NASCAR penalizing cousin Carl CLAIMING he jumped the gun, when it looked clear to me that Carl did fine, Tony spun bad at startup. Why should Carl have to pay for Tonys bad start? WHY???? Because Tony drives a car POWERED by precious Hendrick, God forbid he get the losing end of anything.

Finally, (as mentioned). Let the cars look like cars, not a XBOX game. This is economic strapped America. While you do see Camrys, Fusions, and Impalas. You see more Cruze, Elantra, Civic, ETC. (OK I dont really want to watch the Daytona 500 being won by a Kia Rio, but most guys dream of hot rods. Not a behemoth IMPALA, but rather a sporty Challenger, Mustang, or Camaro. Lets use them as Sprint Cup Cars, and make them look like the Factory Version. (What would Toyota run—who cares???? Let them make a sports car to compete) After all thats what the big 3 did for years..

OH yea, If all these cars are so equal right now, why is it that one guy generally dominates the race? YUP NASCAR is gettin BORING!!!! and too powerful. It shouldnt take several Million $$$$ to run. What happened to shoestring budgets? (you know how NASCAR got started)?

May 1, 2012 at 7:41 am
(4) Elbert says:

My Dad took me to races when it was an eight of mile dirt track, the cars bang each other all night long. Sure it would be hard to go back but the tracks and the cars have gotten so safe that I think they could put some personality back in racing. The points need to be changed, the cars that are laps down need to be put off the track, the restarts need to be only the cars on the lead lap the cars one or two laps back need to be in the back the other cars more laps back need to off the track. Televise the meetings in the trailer after the race and lets hear and see the dirty stuff. As usual if you follow the money you can see who controls the racing, it’s no longer FAN based

e

May 1, 2012 at 9:12 am
(5) Terry Clark says:

I agree with number three completely. The Waltrip boys and there constant bull, drive me up a wall. I have been a fan since the fifties but i’ve stopped watching until you get back to theESPN crew. Enough of the good old boy bull nd their favorites.

May 1, 2012 at 9:15 am
(6) HotRod says:

Not sure how we fix a Broke America, Maybe vote different this yr.

As far as Hendricks cheating or NASCAR playing favorites, Not happing.

Make sure your paying attention to the 10:00 minute mark and you will see that Carl broke a rule thats in place for all Drivers!

Alls NASCAR can do is ride out the storm and hope it CLEARS.

May 1, 2012 at 9:38 am
(7) Kitty says:

For starters, get rid of the STUPID chase that practically gave Jimmie Johnson 5 championships in a row. Next, quit favoring the cheating Hendrick organization and slobbering all over Johnson and Gordon on every program and obsessing over how Johnson and Gordon are running throughout every race. I’m sick of hearing “5 time” and “big daddy” all the time. Quit changing the rules all the time and quit being arbitrary about them. Most of all, get rid of Dumb and Dumber, aka France and Helton!

I’ve quit going to the races and quit buying any NASCAR merchandise because I’m so disgusted with the whole thing. If it doesn’t improve I won’t be watching most of the races anymore, either.

May 1, 2012 at 10:18 am
(8) paul roberts says:

1st.-get rid of all the dumb homer announcers{mike and dw]
2nd.-stop having all the false cautions and let the race run on its own merits.and if the races are boring then start looking at the car nascar made the teams build.
3rd.-stop trying to be like other sporting events you can’t compete with the nfl so be nascar and race the the old days.

May 1, 2012 at 10:31 am
(9) Bill says:

I agree with Hotrod so I won’t repeat. On a separate topic, I wish they wouldn’t allow full time Cup drivers to run Nationwide races. I donT think it helps the young, new drivers and limits their chances to win. It also gives the cup driver an advantage for the race the next day. I think it’s about greed, ego, and in fairness, it’s probably a bit of help in selling NW tickets. If they want Cup drivers for the draw of fans, don’t count their points and limit their monetary incentives.

May 1, 2012 at 10:32 am
(10) timmlaww says:

In no particular order:

1) Bye, bye, Chase. If I HAD to design a “Chase”, I’d take those races to a couple dirt tracks, couple road courses, some smaller venues, go HEATS-MAIN EVENT style when necessary.
2) Bye, bye, Lucky Dog.
3) Bye, bye, Top 35 Rule.
4) Publish The Rulebook (with standardized penalties).
5) Limit Teams to 2 Cars (for real, limit how much can be ‘purchased’)
6) Make a Rule limiting NASCAR itself to 1 Rule Change/Year
7) Bring back bias-ply tires (except road courses)
8) Templates closer to production models
9) Take a hard look at schedule and race distances (1.5 mi cookie cutters, Pocono, NH, etc.)
10) Knock the rear spoiler down, especially on the faster tracks. This would force the driver to actually drive the damn thing every lap. The cars are just too stable, the tires are too good, and (IMO) the driver’s, on the whole, are better than ever.

I know, I know, none of it will ever happen. Just sayin’
Tim

May 1, 2012 at 11:03 am
(11) Ron P says:

I agree that to get rid of both Waltrips would make watching TV more enjoyable. I think it is the Darrell and Michael show sometimes the way each calls on the other. Thank goodness for the DVR.

May 1, 2012 at 11:27 am
(12) Harry and Hana says:

We have been NASCAR fans since the 60′s. Have been to many races and loved the sport. In my opinion, the Car of Tomorrow started the decline of NASCAR as a viable sport. Fords, Chevy and Toyota’s is a joke. There is nothing “stock” on the cars except the hood! And the regulations and restrictions placed on the cars today are unbelievable. No more ingenuity. No more race ‘em on Sunday and sell them on Monday.

In addition, NASCAR has to look at the “start and park” cars that every week start the race then after a few laps they park and go home. Because of their performances, they are not competitive and should not be on the track. Why?? Just to have 43 starters!!

I watch the races on TV but I record them as they are not exciting and the personalities of the drivers have changed too. Bill France is probably “rolling over in his grave” as his Grandson is ruining the sport.

May 1, 2012 at 12:40 pm
(13) RK says:

Get away from these boring tracks, go back to Darlington twice a year, make the drivers and C/C’s win the race on driving ability and set up. Get rid of the Bobsi twins (waltrips) and put some professionials in there with a brain. I hate stupidity and the Waltrips are the opitimity of that. Thank god I can record the race and speed through the time thay open their mouths.

May 1, 2012 at 2:27 pm
(14) Lee says:

Stop the “COT/cookie cutter” template, use real cars from the street modified to run on the track, lower the rear spoiler, start the races with lees “before the race” commentary, publsih purse information for each race, more road courses….the sport is plain boring now.

May 1, 2012 at 2:30 pm
(15) Les says:

Maybe if the broadcasts were on a channel that was free instead 0f cable, Some of us are not able to afford cable just to watch 4 hrs of racing a week. IT seems like they forgot who the real fans are and we are not forgetting it.

May 1, 2012 at 3:53 pm
(16) Tom Collins says:

First thing I would do is fire Mike Helton- his leadership is the biggest reason Nascar is down.

May 1, 2012 at 4:22 pm
(17) SOUL GIRL FAN says:

GET OVER TRYING TO SHOVE KYLE DOWN OUR THROATS. HE ISN’T “NASCAR’S BAD BOY.” HE IS AN IMMATURE JERK. I TOTALLY DISAGREE WITH THE COMMENTS ABOUT HENDRICKS FAVORITISM. THE FAVORITISM IS ALL ABOUT JOE GIBBS RACING . STOP THE FINES AND PENALTIES FOR DRIVERS SPEAKING THEIR TRUE FEELINGS, STOP THE BIAS COMMENTS FROM THE ANNOUNCERS – WE NEED “JUST THE FACTS” – NOT THEIR DAMN OPINIONS.
LET THEM BUILD THEIR CARS AS THEY SEE FIT AND THE “BEST CAR” WIN. NO MORE COOKIE CUTTERS, AND STOP MAKING THE DRIVERS BEHAVE AS CLONES WHO DARE NOT SPEAK. THE ONLY DRIVER IMMUNE FROM PENALTIES FOR THIS SEEMS TO BE KRYLE. HE RUNS HIS MOUTH, WRECKS WHOMEVER HE PLEASES AND IS PRAISED FOR BEING THE BAD BOY. WELL , TURN THEM ALL LOOSE AND SEE HOW HE CAN DOMINATE THEN!

May 1, 2012 at 4:30 pm
(18) Rich says:

I like the Walthrops and their rants. I hated the drafting! Glad NASCAR has addressed that problem. If it had kept up I would have started watching figure skating. Like short track racing more action. Needs action and more chances for drivers to win that are not sponsered by mega money. Go wild Thing!

May 1, 2012 at 5:08 pm
(19) curtis says:

put some stock back in nascar i dont care about 200 mph i would reather see 100 mph and see some stock back in it,,, small tires stock engine,,small tracks, like north wilksboro,drivers and crew should take pay cut,sponsor should not have to pay so much,you have price your self out of job,,,,thank you nascar fan curtis halsey

May 1, 2012 at 5:40 pm
(20) Gary says:

NASCAR has got to get back to the basics, take a stock car, strip it, make it safe, and give the crew chiefs some slack. Those arn’t stock cars they’re all fabricated bodies on a chassis, all cookie cutter cars. The spoiler should be a + or _ , front air dam + or _( they didn’t come with them). Crew chiefs and drivers have to have some say in the way they want their cars to run. What you have now is IROC. If Tony’s car goes fast and you want to beat him you can’t do it in the same equipment, you have to make some adjustments. You think Richard Petty had the same car as Donny Allison? I think not. Oh my gosh did I bump you OOPPs. Get NASCAR off the drivers backs. You just just finem after the race. Give the shops choices. I quit going four years ago, it was like going to the zoo.

May 1, 2012 at 6:31 pm
(21) Rocky R says:

In addition to good racing, Nascar is entertainment. There needs to be drama to draw folks in. In every post race interview, after a question is asked, the trained robot racer thanks his entire list of sponsors before answering the question. By then most of us don’t care anymore. Also, it is good for drivers to have spats and rivalries, that’s what we want to see. Quit policing them so much. Also, every car looks the same. Fords shouldn’t look the same as Chevys or Toyotas. There is no brand identity so nothing fans can get behind. I too agree that the cars are too refined to be any fun to watch. Less spoiler and more driver influence will make the true heros shine. And bring back Digger!

May 1, 2012 at 7:11 pm
(22) Rick says:

No one is more disenchanted with NASCAR than me but, when I read the question on how to improve the racing, I drew a blank. After a little consideration, these are changes that I think might make a difference:

1. No more multi-car teams. Maybe, just maybe allow two teams per owner. And regulate diligently. No more “I own team 1 and my wife owns team 2” etc. The super teams like Hendricks, Roush Fenway, and Gibbs dominate most of the races. If you are not a fan of one of their drivers, you don’t have much to cheer about.

2. Reduce the cost of competing. Set a fixed dollar amount that can be invested in a race car. It doesn’t have to be an absurdly low budget; just enough to eliminate the mega-dollar teams. One problem is that despite NASCAR’s best efforts, the same people seem to be at the front of the pack at the end of the race. And, although this may be contradictory, look at updating the technology of the cars.

3. Simplify the rules and regulations. Keep it simple, keep it fair, and most of all, keep it safe.

4. Get rid of those @#$&* restrictor plates. Racing at the superspeedways is a crap shoot at best. Often it is not the best driver but the luckiest. That is why rookie drivers have a lot of success at Daytona and Talladega. Find other ways to reduce the speed to a manageable level.

5. Bid Toyota farewell. Not because they are foreign owned but because they have absolutely no performance vehicles whatsoever. Ford – Mustang. Chevrolet – Camaro. Dodge – Challenger. Toyota – Prius?

6. I also contemplated using time instead of laps in determining the length of the race. Run however many laps you can in a three hour period with concessions for weather, major wrecks, etc. Don’t know if this would work though.

These change would not be welcome or easy but they just might bring back some of the excitement that has been missing for way too long.

May 1, 2012 at 8:14 pm
(23) Nascar4ever says:

Get rid of 1.5 mile tracks, nothing over 1 mile except road tracks and Dega/Daytona. Eliminate multi car teams no more than 2 cars per owner. No more Hendricks, Childress or Roush provided cars or engines to other teams. Races no longer than 300 miles, all tracks. No more cautions for water botles or foam rubber.

May 1, 2012 at 9:09 pm
(24) Fair N Balanced says:

One car One Backup car period.

I guess we can never go back, but I sure dont like the dominate teams.
Last race I went to was daytona,2004 – I was suprised that you cannot possible see the backstretch because of all the crap in the infield.
You know these cars today dont even sound like race cars.
All the safty features are great, but I would still like to see showroom cars gutted and run.
Heres a thought (LIGHTBULB) only 1 car and 1 backup per team. Same one for road courses and short tracks. AHAAA that is the answer. Pass it around.

May 1, 2012 at 9:29 pm
(25) Glen Harmison Sr says:

1. The race gets a little boring on Sunday when you really don’t see them racing until the last 50 laps. However I do like a 3 or 4 hour race. In order to have 4 hours of TV time racing a suggestion is:
Run it like the Daytona 500 except all in the same day.
Have dual qualifying races of 100 miles. Then a 45 minute break. Then after a 45 minute break have a 250 mile feature.
2. Go back to the days of the manufactures…. Have the cars look like the make & model they represent. If Chevy has a better idea and an advantage, Ford will soon catch up. If not then it is Fords fault they are not doing well. And vise versa.
3. Drivers appear at local tracks & events in order to make you feel that you know them like the old days.
4. Mid race incentives.

I like the points as they are now. I like the chase as it is now. I like the TV announcers that are used now. I like the split screen commercials. I like the “go at it boys attitude”. NASCAR has made a lot of good changes but there still needs to be some of the old left to enjoy also.

May 2, 2012 at 12:36 pm
(26) mike harris says:

Make the sport fan friendly instead of hiding away the drivers before and after races like they are rock stars.
Visit NHRA in person if you don’t know what I mean.

May 2, 2012 at 3:27 pm
(27) Dean says:

First and foremost I would get more Owners With class, Like Roger Penske! Penske showed last year it didn’t matter how good you where or how many races you won, he got fed up with Kurt Busch and his tantrums and fired him. Now on the other hand I’m sick and tired of everyone boosting about how Classy Joe Gibbs is, that’s total B.S. and everyone knows it now. After Kyles little tantrum in the truck on the yellow flag, could have killed a fellow competitor, Joe slapped his hand and so the story goes! Now all Nascar did was park him for the weekend when he should have been park,ed for the rest of the season and on probation for the whole next year. Did they even test him for drugs after that episode, probably not because any sane Driver in their right mind would have never pulled a move like that. JGR showed there true colors by retaining him and that it is all about the BENJAMINS!!!! If Joe Gibbs Racing had any class he would have been fired on the spot. What if he killed Ron Hornaday, would Nascar have tried to get him acquitted of vehicular Manslaughter? Probably so since Joe Gibbs is such a God to Nascar Officials. Nascar and Joe Gibbs showed there true colors by keeping him employed and the seats full. Gee, I want to go to a Race and see someone get killed because he couldn’t contain his temper, Hell I’d bring my kids to see it!! Your all a bunch of Dumb ASSS’, out for nothing more than the Money. Get Rid of Bruton Smith, Buy him out!! Ever since he came into Nascar he’s do nothing more than, buy every Track insite and raise and manipulate the Nascar system and Nascar is letting Him do it. So Like I said it’s nothing more, than the money and POLITICS!!!!!!!

May 2, 2012 at 4:50 pm
(28) joe says:

use red flag instead of yellow with less than 20 laps to go . leave them race for that checker.

May 2, 2012 at 5:53 pm
(29) Ken says:

Have a couple of competition cautions that mix up the fuel stradigy. The starts are were it gets interesting.

May 2, 2012 at 8:39 pm
(30) smoke14fan says:

Have commentators that are as good as the F1 team on Speed – Bob, David & Steve. Or as good as Paul Page was for Indy racing. Or Allen Bestwick. Or have the brothers stop talking for awhile at least.

Shorten some races. The schedule could also use some tweaking, but I understand that is difficult to adjust significantly.

I get tired of hearing about the Chase from before the season ever starts. The Chase, The Chase, The Chase, that’s all they ever talk about. I understand how important the championship is – after all, my driver is the reigning champ! But let us have a regular season for a few weeks.

Think about the costs for the fans. The tickets ARE expensive. Every thing about going to the races gets expensive in this economy – except for Friday practice. So please take a look at all the various costs the fan has to plan for.

I love the sport. Sometimes wish there were fewer races. But then I live in one of the few places that has 2 races a year & I don’t want to lose either one (tho I miss having a night race). I had my income cut this year so haven’t gotten to the Cup race – which raises another issue!

People – GO TO THE TRUCK RACES! They are a blast!. They are less expensive, they are shorter, they are fast, AND there will be wrecks. Please just go to one! I am sure I have overstayed my welcome. @AZSmoke14fan

May 3, 2012 at 7:34 am
(31) matt says:

change the cars so they do not look all the same.

get rid on of the commentators, i can not stand to listen to the Waltrips.

lets get back to what made nascrap good, small one car owner teams who can fight and win on the track.

Get rid of those restrictor plates, let them race and see what they can do.

no more stupid yellow flags for water bottles and foam rubber.

stop sticking nascrap down my throat, i am sick of SPEED talking about nascrap every 5 sec.

May 3, 2012 at 1:18 pm
(32) Gary of the Gulf says:

I am not sure they can fix it!! I feel like they are trying to shove to much down my throat.

May 3, 2012 at 3:17 pm
(33) Larry K says:

Let the car owners improvise, forget the rules on shape, weight. etc.
let them be innovative. Let the team with the best race car race. It won’t take long for each team to come up with something that makes his car faster or handle better, let the team with the best imagination win.Forget all the silly rules that NASCAR comes up with, don’t have NASCAR dictate the rules, play with no rules, no penalties, and then watch the crowds grow, they would pay to see a maverick win a race instead of the same old guys winning all the time.

May 3, 2012 at 4:35 pm
(34) Marrilyn says:

I like DW and Michael. I think they are knowledgeable and entertaining!!

May 3, 2012 at 4:42 pm
(35) Roger says:

The sport has become too commericalized. I am bored looking at a race, whether in the stands or at home. The price of tickets at the races are outrageous and so is the prices of food and “stuff” at the race. While I am for absolute safety and Nascar MUST be too, there is an element of “too much safety”, which in turn takes the excitement and fun out of watching races. Nascar has introduced the need for “other” manufacturers to be part of the Nascar scene. I am totally against this because it was started with American cars and should remain that way.
I believe that their should be more woman in this industry. Guys like see more qualified woman drivers, at least I do. We have a very diverse population of people, who are not thrill seekers. I believe that if your father was into Nascar, his son and son-law would probably be apt to be Nascar fans. Economy is having a huge impact on the sport, and like everything else in this world we need to take care of our families first.
Thanks

May 3, 2012 at 6:00 pm
(36) Carl says:

Common theme.Stock cars,Nothing stock,Met the rep for the co. that casts the heads for all the cars at Roush’s shop three years ago. They are made in Milwawkee. Go back to the 500 rule,have to make 500 for the public or you can’t run them.The only one out there would be Mustangs,all the rest are driven by little old ladies with blue hair and funny hats that look Spanish soldiers that stole all the Mayan gold.Toyota hasn’t made anything that resembled a hotrod ever,at least the big three are doing it. However with the exception of Clint Boyer all the rest of the Toyota drivers fit the mould of high estrogen levels commensurate of the typical street Camry drivers.

May 3, 2012 at 8:12 pm
(37) The Blade says:

First, I would overhaul the points system for the Chase. When a driver wins four of the races and has to win the fifth one to win it all, it doesn’t sound very fair, even if it does provide an exciting finish.

The current system rewards stroking and discourages hard racing. Until the reward for winning is greater than the penalty for a DNF, there are going to continue to be a lot of cars driving in a circle, saying “happy to be here.”

That is NOT the kind of racing on which the foundations of NASCAR were built.

And that is the real problem: most of the decisions NASCAR has made in the last ten years are to attract the new, non-traditional audience. Unfortunately, they are defecating on their traditional fanbase.

Consequently, they got just what they deserved: some fickle thrill-seekers paid attention for a couple of years and then bolted. When NASCAR looked up, they wondered why so many of their traditional fans had left.

Time for NASCAR to take a look in the mirror.

May 3, 2012 at 11:40 pm
(38) Joe says:

I have watched nascar since the Winston cup years and enjoy it.Only thing I can think of is truely follow boys have at it.Nacar shouldn’t get involved,If they want to press charges on each other for a punch that is their choice,if not ,then things happen.Get some good stars into Nascar,famous ones and have the media see Nascar branch out and maybe show a concert infield on weekend if infield is big enough.Or some kind of famous people coming in with the Great Nascar drivers.Let them all have fun with the fans.Have it where you get into concert with a special Nascar pass.Of course ,my opinion of course,lol, would be get some good ole country singers in there .The outlaw type.

May 4, 2012 at 6:25 am
(39) RALPHO says:

if you cause a spin or wreck go to the back points at 1/4 1/2 3/4 no guarantee starting spots no wing no ft spliter

May 4, 2012 at 10:58 am
(40) gary gilmore says:

NO MORE MULTI TEAN OWNERS ! 1 Owner 1 Car !!

May 4, 2012 at 11:50 am
(41) Elmer says:

we need real racers like dale sr. if you loved him or hated him he made racing fun the nascar drivers of today act like movie stars not drivers

May 4, 2012 at 12:13 pm
(42) ted says:

fastest cars race on raceday chevy look like chevy ford look like ford and so on no start and park cut cost for fans ,how much money can nascar make and still work ,no owner points no driver points to make the race,go back to old points to be champion ( 12 drivers to race for the championship sucks) maybe that would help nascar.

May 6, 2012 at 1:33 pm
(43) Edwards fan says:

I want to see original looking cars, not clones. Announcers talk about the same drivers every week, usually hendricks. Have a set amount of money everyone can race with, give someone else a chance. Don’t charge for certain areas of camping, give us a break, it’s gotten way too expensive. We have quit going as most of our friends, it’s just too expensive. Jimmy Johnson or whoever wins the race doesn’t need a million dollars or more

May 6, 2012 at 3:02 pm
(44) Rick says:

We all know the downfall started with multi-car teams and big money organizations. It’s such a mess now with all the “white bread ” drivers which are so void of personality and their Wall Street lifestyle whether they win or not I only see one way to fix it. Take advantage of technology and give points on a lap by lap basis and force them to race rather than wait until the last lap and quit giving points at about 15th place. The only other solution in heat races that get you into the big race. It is really pathetic to which drivers happy with a 10th place finish. It must be a product of the everybody gets a trophy generation. I haven’t been to a race since the big money forced out the North Wilksboro track. Just heard J. Johnson say he was going back out for points at 42 laps down. These losers need to go home when they are out of the competition. I want to see a race, not losers driving around in the way.

May 6, 2012 at 8:39 pm
(45) Cliffeck says:

I would love to see an all electric series that allowed them to use any electric engine they designed or purchased as long as it had unrestricted HP and no speed constraints. The only catch would be that they had to use commercially available batteries or capacitors and could not recharge or change energy source during the race. Solar would also be accepted. Body style would be to their own design.

e

May 8, 2012 at 2:38 pm
(46) Tennessee girl says:

Please people, we must have safty, but not letting them race is like putting a four year old back into a baby walker. Now just whats this about. Nascar has and will (or should), be a good ole boys rase. I firmly beleave women should never drive in the Nascar races They onlky focus on them and not the race. Point Sun at Talag. had a heck of a time finding about Eric and how he was, but on saw Big Daddy’s girl. Eirl on the tv, on line, in the news, and papers. Since when has any driver gotten so much press. Go Daddy sugar baby GO HOME. And you wonder why people arn’r flocking to the races, just not fun anymore.

May 14, 2012 at 5:36 pm
(47) cliffeck says:

After watching Darlington I am wondering if NASCAR isn’t already “FIXED” – Yep! thats exactly what I meant.

May 23, 2012 at 7:36 am
(48) Carmen Rao says:

Nascar ratings down again.hmmmmmm.What is needed is MORE commercials,especially during the last 20 laps. I’m not sure about you, but I tune in for the commercials. Nascars greed is apparently its downfall, Aesop’s goose anyone.

July 16, 2012 at 4:43 pm
(49) roger says:

sorry people but henderick,brain f.,fat boy mike h. has killed this deal.the only way you mite fix this is to listenyou to the old school driver’s and fans but pride will stop that.there is no driver’s today there is no racing there’s is noone to call the races it’s just dead.back in the day we would go to six or more race’s every year and listen on the radio and then talk about it till the next race.so with all said.the best is now long gone GOD bless all the pass real race fan’s. roger long nash tenn

July 22, 2012 at 4:59 pm
(50) don reynolds says:

Big changes….Cars should come off the show room floor. NO body changes. Let them strip the insides and add proper seats and crash bars. Let them toy with the suspensions. Make sure they change out the gas tanks to those now in use. Take our the glass and use what they do today. Make the cars as STOCK as you can. NO change to the engine whatsoever. NO change to the tires. Run what you brung…Start going back to some of the old tracks that have been abandoned. Race in the rain. Lower ticket prices and get families back. Work with local merchants and STOP gouging patrons. Let them race, bum and run the hell out of these “stock” cars. Only points that can be earned is by how you finish……period.

July 29, 2012 at 6:28 pm
(51) bobbysmith says:

It’s already FIXED.

August 7, 2012 at 12:51 pm
(52) Steve Jr says:

I was die hard a year ago…and have only been a fan since 2007, but this year, im starting to see the why the decline. i love my local dirt track, i love oval racing, but something about nascar now seems too polished. a little to much yanking on my chain so to speak. i dont get why nascar is imploding on itself, by all these rules, and regulation, and forgetting who made nascar big in the first place (fans) When i saw that they fine drivers for speaking their opinion (1st amendment) on nascar and being critical, that about crossed the line. I can see if a driver says “nascar officials and its owners are complete jackasses” yeah, thats a little bit different, but if a driver constructivley criticizes NASCAR, in hopes to make the sport a little bit more sponteneous, and exciting for the viewer, then why the hell are you going to fine them? enough of this slap on the wrist b/s. i know, i hate adjusting to change too, but nascar must do so in order to save itself.

October 2, 2012 at 5:55 pm
(53) Chuck says:

How about going back to what it is supposed to be….stock. Buy one off the show room floor and drive the wheels off of it. If it goes to fast, back off the accelerator. If it isn’t fast enough, get out and push. We used to be proud of the cars we drove. Now if you are racing a Dodge, the only Dodge part on the car is the embelm and it’s stuck on with glue….Come on. This is not National Stock Car racing. Just my two cents worth.

January 5, 2013 at 5:05 pm
(54) dr blais says:

one word RALLY thats why american cars suck they race in a circle ” nascar ” the rest of the world has rally left right through the air over the river through the woods

February 19, 2013 at 12:37 pm
(55) Rich says:

Life long fan up till a around 4 or 5 years ago. the announcers talk to much they never shut up. we now have HD TV and surround sound perfect for nascar! I want to here the cars the roar of the engines! but you cant turn it up because their always talking! its almost like they feel like they have to fill every moment with meaningless filler talk like their on the radio. but the true fan want to here the cars the sounds! Thats what exciting ! somebody make them stop!

February 24, 2013 at 5:05 pm
(56) Dorene says:

NASCAR needs to go back to ZERO points at the begining of season.
Never mind owners points!
Let each driver earn points as he or she actually earns them!!
PRESENT method gives unfair advantage to bigger teams and does not let newer or smaller teams the same chance.
I THINK THAT IS WHY THAT ARRAGANT —-HOLE JIMMIE JHONSON has walked all over others. Rousche(sp) has to have some kind of “IN” with NASCAR. to have Johnson get away with some of the things he has done in past years.
Take that advantage away and even lesser drivers who don’t do well, will have better ratings.

March 24, 2013 at 9:44 am
(57) Bud Greiner says:

Could it be that the attendance is down because Dodge is out of racing, there is a lot of Mopar fans out there that won’t watch it any more because of that. Maybe those Toyota’s should be replaced by Dodges, that might fix it.